Saturday 19 March 2016

Parlett family in Stoke Ferry

I have Parlett ancestors on both sides of my family and since it is quite an uncommon surname I thought I would start a blog to try to sort out the relationships and perhaps connect with others with the Parlett surname. The origins of the surname appear to be early French.

Like many other families there are complications - with different spellings - Parlet and Parlett and rather a lot of illegitimate births, multiple marriages and marriages of cousins.

I have visited the Norfolk archives on a number of occasions and spent a long time transcribing the parish registers for Stoke Ferry and Wretton but still have missing pieces of the puzzle.

My 2 times great grandmother (on my paternal side of the family), Elizabeth Parlett was born in Stoke Ferry in 1816 - I have her baptism from the Stoke Ferry parish register as 10 Nov 1816, daughter of Thomas Parlett, a cooper and his wife Mary. There is an earlier child for Thomas and Mary also called Elizabeth who was buried in Stoke Ferry aged 18 months. Margaret Parlett, her sister, baptised 26 June 1822 is my 2 times great grandmother on my maternal side.

Thomas Parlett, my 3 times great grandfather, married Mary Wilson in Stoke Ferry on 4 November 1813. Thomas was baptised 21 October 1786, Stoke Ferry and died 13 August 1826. He is the son of Philip Parlett, also a cooper and his wife Mary.

Thomas Parlett and Mary had 4 children:
Elizabeth, Philip, Margaret and Susan

Elizabeth married Joseph Wilson
Philip perhaps married Lucy Whiteman -but may not be same Philip
Margaret married James Docking
Susan had daughter Elizabeth Parett 25 Oct 1844 named father as Thomas Powley

Philip Parlett, who married twice, both called Mary, left a will, key details from it are:

Philip Parlett of Stoke Ferry, Cooper:

Wife - Mary Parlett
Son - Thomas Parlett of Stoke Ferry, Yoeman
Daughter - Mary now wife of John Coxford
Daughter Margaret now wife of X Nelson
Son, Samuel Parlett
Daughter, Elizabeth Parlett


No comments:

Post a Comment